Friday, December 16, 2005

Talk With God

So I was sitting there
On a green park bench,
When suddenly
A voice called out from above.
It said,
“This is God.
Your time has come.
I grant you three last requests
Before you pass on.”

I asked the voice,
“Why only three?”
The voice replied,
“Because that’s the way it has to be”.
“That don’t cut it for me.”
“Boy, you don’t have a choice.”
And I said,
“Alright, let’s roll before I am dead.”

My oh my!
How I remember that day.
The birds chirped in the light blue sky.
Three chances to fix my life
And destroy the strife
That plagues the world.

The voice said,
“Well, what do you think?”
“I want my love to be happy for eternity.
I want my little brother to live in infamy.”
“And the last?”
“The last, reveal yourself to me.”
The voice said,
“Wake up you bum,
Other people want to sit here too.”

I opened my eyes.
The sunlight had warmed my skin.
All around I saw beauty,
In the world
And the things I had done.

I sat up and a man sat down next to me.
He said,
“How are you?
My name is Frank.”
I replied,
“My name is James.”
He said,
“I know”
“How did you know my name?”
“It’s on your shirt.”
I looked down and there it was.
A blue pin name tag,
Affixed to my pocket.

We chatted a while
And I looked at my watch.
Half past twelve,
Time to get going.
I said my goodbyes and he said,
“See you soon.”
I walked into the street.
Lo and behold,
A fish truck ran a red light.
My body flew into the intersection
And my soul was projected into the sky.

So I was sitting there
At the feet of god.
And I asked,
“What hell?
I asked you to show yourself.”
And the Lord responded,
“I did,
I was the man you talked to
On the bench …
Ass.”


No comments: