Thursday, August 07, 2008

New Music 8/7/08

A little late on the posting. Hopefully I can start posting on Tuesday's, but hell, it's my blog and I post whenever I want.

I've been meaning to do this for some time now and I hope to write these frequently for all of you to read. I tagged those who I thought might actually enjoy/use this. Everyone else who reads it can have fun.


Conor Oberst (Bright Eyes)
Conor Oberst
As usual Oberst produces an excellent cd with his traditionally symbolic and meaningful lyrics. For those who would like to hear "I'm Wide Awake It's Morning" with a rock n roll feel, go ahead and peruse the album.

Neil Halstead
Sleeping On Roads
I could only find this older cd available for download at the moment, however, he also has a new cd out called Oh! Mighty Engine. When I listened to the album, I couldn't shake the feeling I was listening to Sufjan Stevens with a stronger folk influence. His soft voice, the horns, the lovely guitar (and thought I heard a banjo here and there), and the piano all combine for a very melodic, put you to sleep album.

Dr. Dog
Fate
Dr. Dog produces a stunning album with such a variety of influences that upon my first listen, i thought, Dr. Dog and Andrew Bird could create a kick ass band. The song "From" is great for lovers and has hints of the Beatles' "Hey Jude".

Ida Maria
Fortress Around My Heart
If you could combine Kimya Dawson with punk/brit rock, you would have Ida Maria. Some of it just makes you want to dance, some of it makes you want to laugh (case in point, the song "I like you so much better when you are naked"). All in all, a very good album.

James Jackson Toth
Waiting In Vain
I can't quite place his voice, but I can assure you it's incredibly unique. Toth has clear country roots, but fuses an excellent proportion of indie-rock to prevent the country music from being completely overwhelming.

Wild Sweet Orange
We Have Cause To Be Uneasy
This is one of those albums that throws you onto a roller coaster and expects you to follow along. One minute you are listening to a gorgeous, lyrically stunning song, and the next, you are wondering if you are listening to the same band as they rock your socks off. Of all the tracks, however, the song "Sour Milk" proved to me that they were worth the listen

No comments: